1 a commercial document showing that the holder is entitled to something (as to ride on public transportation or to enter a public entertainment)
2 a summons issued to an offender (especially to someone who violates a traffic regulation)
3 a list of candidates nominated by a political party to run for election to public offices [syn: slate]
4 the appropriate or desirable thing; "this car could be just the ticket for a small family" [syn: just the ticket]
1 issue a ticket or a fine to as a penalty; "I was fined for parking on the wrong side of the street"; "Move your car or else you will be ticketed!" [syn: fine]
2 provide with a ticket for passage or admission; "Ticketed passengers can board now"
EtymologyFrom French étiquette
- Rhymes: -ɪkɪt
- A pass entitling the holder to admission to a show, concert, etc.
- A pass entitling the holder to board a train, a plane, or other means of transportation
- A citation for a traffic violation.
- A permit to operate a machine on a building site.
- A service request, used to track complaints or requests that an issue be handled. (Generally Internet Service Provider related).
- A list of candidates for an election, or a particular
theme to a candidate's manifesto.
- Joe Bloggs has joined the party's ticket for the county
- Joe will be running on an anti-crime ticket.
- Joe Bloggs has joined the party's ticket for the county elections.
admission to entertainment
pass for transportation
- Finnish: sakkolappu
- Japanese: 違反切符
- Russian: квитанция, купон
permit to operate machine
informal: list of candidates
- Finnish: lista
- ttbc Arabic:
- ttbc Chinese: 票 (piào)
- ttbc Danish: billet (1); bøde (3)
- ttbc Dutch: ticket, kaartje, toegangsbewijs, strippenkaart (2)
- ttbc Esperanto: bileto, veturbileto, irbileto, kandidataro, prezindiko
- ttbc French: billet, contravention (3)
- ttbc German: Eintrittskarte
- ttbc Greek: εισιτήριο (eisitírio) (pass)
- trreq Hebrew
- ttbc Italian: biglietto (1,2), multa , contravvenzione (3)
- ttbc Korean: 표 (pyo)
- ttbc Norwegian: billett
- ttbc Portuguese: bilhete
- ttbc Polish: bilet
- ttbc Serbian: ulaznica
- ttbc Slovak: vstupenka (1), lístok (2), pokuta (3)
- ttbc Spanish: boleto , tique, tiquete italbrac Costa Rica
- ttbc Swedish: biljett (1,2), bot (3)
- To issue someone a ticket, as for travel or for a violation of a local or traffic law.
to issue someone a ticket
- Finnish: kirjoittaa (for travel), sakottaa (for traffic violation)
- Japanese: 切符を切る
- A receipt.
- sv-noun-form-def tick
Ticket may refer to:
- Ticket (admission), a card or slip of paper used to gain admission to a location or event
- Ticket (election), a single election choice which fills more than one political office or seat
- Ticket (receipt), a card or slip of paper that designates one's position in a queue or ownership of an item to be picked up
- Ticket (notification), a notice of commission of a legal infraction
- Ticket (IT support), a file documenting a reported problem and the steps taken to resolve it
- Ticket (IT security), a number generated by a network server as a means of authentication
- Ticket cases, a series of cases in contract law
- Airline ticket, a document created by an airline or a travel agent to confirm that an individual has purchased a seat on an airplane.
- Electronic ticket, an electronic form of Airline ticket.
- Coach ticket, a document created by a coach operator or a travel agent to confirm that an individual has purchased a seat on a coach.
- Traffic ticket
Tickets may refer to:
ticket in Bulgarian: Билет
ticket in German: Ticket
ticket in Indonesian: Karcis
ticket in Spanish: Billete
ticket in Japanese: チケット
ticket in Polish: Bilet
ticket in Russian: Билет
ticket in Contenese: 飛
ticket in Chinese: 票券
Australian ballot, Indiana ballot, Massachusetts ballot, OK, absentee ballot, admission, affidavit, allowance, attestation, authority, authorization, baggage check, ballot, bill of health, billhead, blanket ballot, book stamp, bookplate, brand, broad arrow, cachet, card, cashiering, certificate, certificate of proficiency, certification, charter, check, choice, colophon, conge, consent, counter, counterfoil, countermark, coupon, credential, deposal, deposition, diploma, discharge, disemployment, dismissal, dispensation, displacing, docket, drumming out, earmark, firing, forced separation, furloughing, government mark, government stamp, hallmark, hat check, imprint, key, label, layoff, leave, letterhead, liberty, license, lineup, list, logo, logotype, long ballot, masthead, navicert, nonpartisan ballot, notarized statement, note, office-block ballot, okay, open sesame, party emblem, party-column ballot, pass, password, patent, permission, permission to enter, pink slip, plate, price tag, proxy, registered trademark, release, removal, retirement, running head, running title, sample ballot, scrip, seal, sheepskin, short ballot, sigil, signet, slate, slip, slug, special permission, split ticket, stamp, sticker, straight ticket, stub, surplusing, suspension, sworn statement, tab, tag, tally, testamur, testimonial, the ax, the boot, the bounce, the gate, the sack, ticket of admission, title page, token, trade name, trademark, trademark name, visa, vise, vote, voucher, vouchsafement, waiver, walking papers, warrant, warranty, witness